06 January 2011

Chanel Pre-Fall 2011 aka Paris-Byzance RTW

What a HUGE difference video makes! When I first saw this collection last month via a slideshow on Style.com I HATED it. Liked only one or two looks. But after seeing this video tonight, I am completely in love with this collection inspired by Empress Theodora and the lost culture of Byzantium + Coco Chanel's gripoix jewelry. The accessories and sandals are to die for. You could see model Freja Beja Erichsen was trying so hard not to smile as she closed the show :) Click here to watch Paris-Byzance on Chanel.com.

My favorite accessory of the entire collection:


Reminds me of a thurible, or censer..you know, that thing the priest swings back and forth which is filled with incense. Very nostalgic, as I attended Catholic school as a kid. I hated how boring church was..all that stupid standing, sitting, and kneeling.. but I still remember that scent, and boy did I love those communion wafers for some odd reason.

Empress Theodora and Her Attendants, a mosaic located in the San Vitale Basilica in Ravenna, Italy + detail of Empress Theodora:


Wasn't crazy about it at first but the makeup makes so much more sense now. I had no idea that those red lines were actually makeup back in those days. Studying this piece in art history class, I'd always just assumed that those lines were just her eyelids. Click here to read about the show's makeup.


UPDATE 1/8/2011 2:00am EST: GORGEOUS photos of the Paris-Byzance show @ The Cherry Blossom Girl, done in 3 parts. She wasn't just invited to the show but had serious backstage access. Part 1 chronicles her visit to Massaro (Chanel's shoe atelier), and Part 2 her visit to l'Atelier Lesage (they do all of Chanel's embroidery). Part 3 contains photos of the show.

OMG how sweet is this!? For 6,279 (150hours of training: 50 classes, 3hrs each) to 11,300 (300 hours) you can learn how to do haute couture embroidery at Lesage! You can learn individual skills too, classes ranging from 90 to 2,160 euros depending on the skill.

UPDATE 1/8/2011 3:51am EST: Interview with Karl Lagerfeld about Paris-Byzance

No comments:

Post a Comment