06 May 2011

Rookwood Bar & Restaurant

Anyone who's ever been to an art museum has to have heard of Rookwood Pottery. They're known for their glazes and their early pieces (pre-Great Depression) are really valuable. The original building where the pottery was manufactured still stands, but was turned into a restaurant. Hadn't been there since I was a kid, and just recently started going back. Boy have things changed- it looks amazing now. No more ice cream bar, one of my only memories of the place as it was when I was a kid :( But that's ok, their updated interior decor and Grippos fries more than make up for it :) A locally famous mixologist named Rom works there but I have yet to have one of his creations. Browsed the photo gallery on their site, he makes really pretty drinks.

Had lunch there on Tuesday with my boyfriend and his brother, who was in town for a few days. Some photos I took:

Entrance/bar.

Bar/the first of 3 giant kilns.

Inside that giant kiln is a lounge area.

A closer look.

What's up (literally)? A sweet oculus.


"KILN 31" (second of the 3 giant kilns)


Their scrumptous Grippo's fries.
Grippo's is a local BBQ chip brand. You can now purchase their seasoning to put on stuff.

Hanky Panky appetizer, made with goetta. Looks gross but is SO GOOD.
Goetta is a German breakfast sausage (ground meat and oats), another local thing.

My step-grandma used to make these every Christmas. Brings back memories.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this place looks so nice. I really wanna go! Sigh, sometimes living in Japan is a downer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can take you there when you come back in August :)

    ReplyDelete