19 May 2011

Wow, and not the good kind.

Finally heard back from Customer Care, only to be extremely let down.

"Dear Camille, 

Thank you for contacting Customer Care for alexanderwang. 

We have reviewed the submitted pictures of the item you purchased and have determined the color of the shoe does not appear to be much different than what is depicted online. This is the only khaki color we have available and all colors would be the same. 

Regarding the ?stains?, the suede fabric used on the straps of the sandal may have some areas in which the color is inconsistent; however this is a natural imperfection of the material and is not considered damage. 

We regret to hear you are dissatisfied with your purchase. If you would like to return the item for a refund back to your credit card, as a courtesy, we will make this exception. Unfortunately, since we do not perform exchanges and the sale has ended, you will not be able to purchase another pair for the same price. 

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. 

If you have any additional questions, or need further assistance, please contact us at 1.855.291.8800 Monday- Friday 9am- 5pm EST. 

Kind Regards, 

Customer Care 
customercare@alexanderwang.com"


This is the e-mail response after I talked to them on the phone:


"Dear Camille, 

Thank you for contacting Customer Care at alexanderwang.com. 

As explained via email and phone call, there is no other Khaki color for the sandal you have purchased. We apologize if you do not feel the image is being correctly displayed online. The issue has been forwarded to determine if the discrepancy is noticeable enough to warrant an update of the picture online as we have not received any such complaints regarding the color of the shoe received or the picture displayed online. 

You have already been advised you can return the item for a refund, if you like. This is outside of our normal policy and are working to make an exception for you due to your apparent dissatisfaction. 

Therefore, to reiterate your options, you may return the item for a full refund or keep it. Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience; however there is no other resolution. 

If you have any additional questions, or need further assistance, please contact us at 1.855.291.8800 Monday- Friday 9am- 5pm EST. 

Kind Regards, 

Customer Care 
customercare@alexanderwang.com"



Ok, SEVERAL ISSUES here.


Not much different? You've gotta be effing kidding me (photos here). Yeah, and then they tried to blame it on the pixelation and color settings on my monitor... well, I use a Samsung 40" LCD TV as my monitor. Can't get much better than that. I typically use Dynamic mode because it makes the colors pop and everything look true to color. I switched through all the color modes, and no matter what I had it on the product photo didn't look green whatsoever. Whoever reviewed the pictures said that all Tempests are khaki green in color. If that's the case, how come they are neither listed as khaki green nor do they look khaki green on the site?! The first woman I talked to at Customer Care (Chastity) said every company has its own definition of khaki... um, I KNOW THAT. I am simply referring to the image on their site. Such a cop out if you ask me. Sounds to me like they're saying that you can't trust their website or any other website's product photos for that matter. I've ordered plenty of items online and never had this sort of issue with the actual product color being so significantly different from how it looked online. And if pixelation/color settings is really the issue, what settings would be right? Is there a brand of computer I'd have to use in order to view their website in its true color? And are all the other websites that sell this shoe in khaki wrong? I think I'll have to call or e-mail ssense just to see if they've had any issues with the Tempest looking different in person than on the site. Bergdorf's image is the closest to (but still lighter than) how it looks in person.


So my only choices are to keep them, or return them and have the cost put back on my card (minus the return shipping cost). She basically said it was a favor to me that they were even willing to give me a refund vs. a web credit. But if I return them, I can never have that shoe again. The thing is I love the shoe design, it's the color difference and my expectations not being met that bothers me. It could all be fixed if they made it up to me in at least some way, like gave me enough of a web credit to get something else, or let me exchange them for black (because at least I can feel somewhat comfortable knowing that black is black no matter what designer or brand). But they don't do exchanges. Like I said, I have no problem with khaki green but I believe you should be able to feel at ease when you order online, that what you see in a certain color is what you'll get (or at least be very close). It's just so upsetting because it's not like I have all the money in the world (like the typical Alexander Wang customer) to just drop this much on shoes. This was a special occasion (a Private Sale event- a chance for me to own something nice, in season for once, and at a price point I can manage). To me the way this situation was handled only serves to make the average person afraid to buy from their online store. I was not expecting to get treated like I'm bananas when the shoes in person are clearly different from the image on their product page. 


I accept the stains they consider imperfections, but the color difference is an issue that's hard to ignore. I still like the brand and his designs....but feel like I can't trust their website anymore. What should have been a good experience has only been a poor one. Whether I send them back or keep them, it's like either way I lose. I either keep the shoe in a color I didn't mean to order because I was deceived by the product image on their site, or return it and not have the shoe at all. It's just so sad that such a reputable company couldn't manage to find another way to make it up to me. 


So now I have a few days to think, this not being a black and white situation. Sorry for rambling, but I just had to share my experience. 

1 comment:

  1. The biggest thing to me is their denial of the SIGNIFICANT difference in color between the photos and the actual shoes. I mean those photos look tan/ beige and your photos look olive green or darker.

    ReplyDelete