07 June 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US ver.)



As far as I can tell, Rooney Mara doesn't come anywhere close to Noomi Rapace's translation of Lisbeth Salander. Noomi doesn't play around- those piercings were all real. Now THAT, my friend, is badass. The only thing she didn't do to transform herself into Lisbeth was get the tattoo. Everything else, down to the stunts and learning how to drive a motorcycle: all her. I am still curious to see it though, mainly for Daniel Craig's performance as Blomkvist. After the crap that was Let Me In (the US adaptation of Swedish vampire film Let the Right One In), I really hope Fincher gets this one right.

I wish American film makers would leave foreign movies alone, but I guess they are just trying to accomplish what Scorsese did with The Departed- creating American versions that are great in their own right ..another good example is Gore Verbinski's The Ring, which totally surpassed the original.. but if that's the case, why the EFF would they would film the American version in Sweden? Is it going to be a shot-for-shot copy like Let Me In? I don't remember there being a pile-up on the bridge in the Swedish version, but I could be wrong. Is the only real difference that Blomkvist and Lisbeth are from England?

In theatres December 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment