30 November 2012

What I wore to [not] meet Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist.


MMM x H&M necklace
Rick Owens Lilies dress
Alexander Wang boots

Heard through the grapevine that my college made the cut for his book signing tour. I was debating whether or not to go because I admire his work but not enough to buy either one of his books ^^;; Why buy the book for $30 (or $18.98 on Amazon) when you can view and gain inspiration from his photos for free?

My arguments for not going:
1. It would require a lot of effort. Ok, not a lot.. it's just the closer I get to graduating, the less I want to be at school for any reason.
2. He's not exactly known for his humility or graciousness. He has been quoted saying some pretty douchey things about Bill Cunningham and Tavi Gevinson, two people well-known for being kind and down-to-earth despite their respected status in the fashion industry. Is a man who says these things worth meeting?
3. It would be awkward to show up to a book signing without a book for him to sign. Can you imagine? "Hi!" "Um... your book?" "Sorry, I don't have one." "That's why I brought extra. Here you go, it'll be $30." "Uh, no...that's alright. Thanks though." Cue the awkward silence. "Next!"

But come 3:30, as I was getting ready for work, I realized something. This might be a great way to meet and connect with people who enjoy fashion. Therefore it is worth the effort and risk of public humiliation :)

Obviously it did not work out exactly as planned. I went, only to find an empty table. This was around 4:35. Did I mention the book signing started at 4 o'clock? I expected this to be an huge event, not a quick in and out, and this is why- see the below comments (from this post).


Ali
November 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm
How long will the book signing last in Cincinnati? I don’t get off work till 5 and am wondering if I can make it.
  • Alyssa | The Sartorialist
    November 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    Don’t worry you should be fine! It should go for 2-3 hours at least.


"2-3 hours at least"? Yeah right! 



This is Chris, a journalist from New York, and Chichi, a medical student interviewing for residency. They showed up around 10 minutes after I did. Chris was understandably very irritated- he actually had a book he wanted signed. We sat around in hopes that Scott would reappear, commiserating and talking fashion in the meantime. After a half hour, we conceded that he had left the building. On the bright side I fulfilled my intention. Met and connected with a couple nice people, each with a very different approach to fashion. It made for interesting conversation.

While I didn't have my heart super set on meeting the man behind The Sartorialist, it was definitely a let-down. Seems a shame to add such an out-of-the-way city and not make the most of his visit. At the same time, I feel DAAP failed miserably at hosting what should have been a very special event. It's not often a world-renowned street style blogger comes around, and they had him set up in the lamest, messiest part of a really cool building. They should have conducted it in the DAAP cafe, it has a much nicer, much more open atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment