08 August 2013

August 1-4, 2013: Boston

Went to Boston to accompany Sheila (Godmother) while Bruce attended board meetings most days. Click on images to enlarge/launch slideshow view.


Day 1




After an unexpected flight delay, we finally arrived in the mid-afternoon and checked into our rooms at The Langham. Definitely a new experience for me as I am accustomed to much less when I travel. After settling into our rooms, Sheila and I walked around the Financial District. Man Boston is cool! Particularly the architecture and city layout- very European in feel with its narrow winding cobblestone streets, street markets, and Catholic churches. The green spaces are especially nice. Bought a weird poodle-like cardigan at the Washington Street H&M, which I returned two days later. It was cute but a little overpriced for what it was, even on sale. Attended the Delta Renaissance welcome reception, then had after dinner drinks at Bond. Felt pret-ty fancy drinking my port wine. 


Day 2














Had a New England style lunch (lobster rolls and clam chowder) at the hotel's lobby lounge, then headed off to the MFA Boston for their Samurai! exhibit. $23 (for students) and $25 (general admission) may sound really steep for a day at the museum but it was beyond worth it. Samurai armor is so much more badass in person than in artwork. Not to mention the room of John Singer Sargents- how amazing it was to be in the same room as The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit


Day 3



Today was our designated shopping day. Had breakfast with Kim, a friend of Sheila's, then spent the afternoon on Newbury Street. No cab this time :) We walked to and from, which is more my style. My fashion find: AllSaints silver Restrain skirt at 68% off. Hand embroidered and so sparkly. First seen in Chicago but unavailable in my size. But clearly it was meant to be. The Boston location had only one left, in my size, perfect condition, on sale, with an additional 20% off sale prices! Not to mention tax free here. Glad I decided to return the cardigan. That money went toward something I really wanted. Had dinner @ Atlantic Fish. Very tasty, especially the lobster ravioli and Katama Bay oysters. 


Day 4

Nothing today- ate leftovers for breakfast, finished packing, then off to the airport. I have to say I'm a bit upset at myself for not exploring more of the city, on a free trip no less. But my left foot hurt like a motherf***er after our trip to the museum. The cutest sandals rarely have any arch support ><  I'm trying to remind myself that sometimes it takes going somewhere else to rest- away from home, away from work and other obligations. Especially after working 2 weeks straight. It's just that my travels usually involve going out as much as possible. I just didn't have the energy for it this time. Not to worry, I will definitely be back. Next time I would love to see historical sites, walk around Beacon Hill, and eat more seafood.

No comments:

Post a Comment